School Projects

Fun Projects

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Fall Traditions

Every fall, usually around the middle of September, the kids start bugging me to go and buy pumpkins.  We aren't big on Halloween at our house so I am not hyper-motivated, but I do like pumpkins for fall decorations and we eventually (mid-October) make the trek to the pumpkin patch to pick up a few.
 The kids had great fun running around and helping each other find really good ones.  They get to pick a pumpkin from the price section that most closely corresponds to their age.  This used to be quite a deal for me, but since the most expensive pumpkins are $5 (I exclude the more expensive "premium" pumpkins from the acceptable categories) and I now have 3 children who are at least 5 years of age I don't get off so cheaply anymore.  Still, five dollars for a pumpkin bigger than Blair isn't a bad price!
 Once we got home, only the boys wanted to carve their pumpkins.  As soon as Cam figured out what he really had to do, his enthusiasm waned as well.  Why do children who love to be muddy and dirty balk at cleaning out a pumpkin just because it is a little slimy? 
 This year was Ian's first chance to carve his pumpkin with no motherly assistance.  I may have hovered a bit when he was wielding the knife, but I managed not to interfere.  It took some restraint, let me tell you! 
Happy autumn from the Kolstes!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey,I never saw this post. Have you stopped blogging?

Jessica said...

Hey,I never saw this post. Have you stopped blogging?