Thursday, September 30, 2010
Saturday, September 25, 2010
I began collecting my own list of supplies:
- Cheap instead of expensive dye (dark green and sunburst orange)
- 3 yards of Muslin instead of "cotton gauze" (torn in half the long way to make two scarves)Walmart didn't have "dye fixative" so I skipped that
- Ketchup bottle for squirting
- Leftover tie-dye gloves
- Repossessed sewing tape measure (Brynnie kept trying to possess it)
Undetered, I decided to try with the green dye (still without fixative). This time I decided that I'd let the dye completely dry before I washed the fabric. The green dye didn't look as impressive wet as the orange did - in fact it looked rather blue, so I didn't bother with a picture. I put the material out into the thirty-mile-per-hour wind, and let it dry. Then I washed it. I went down to the machine, hopeing to pull out a "dark green ombre" scarf, but it was not to be. While there was slightly more ombre present then in the yellow scarf, I would never call it dark green.
So, at the end of the project I am the proud owner of a solid yellow and an almost solid blue scarf(that still need hemming), and I am forced to admit that maybe Martha (or her staff) know what they were talking about when their list of supplies is a little longer then mine.
Monday, September 20, 2010
Wednesday, September 15, 2010
Ever since last summer, when I had my first tie-dye party, I had planned to have another one this summer. Making tie-dyed t-shirts just seems like a summer thing to do, like going to fireworks and parades and eating popsicles. Somehow, though, the entire summer went by without the party getting planned. As September neared, I realized that my window of opportunity was gone, and that I needed to come up with a different plan. Soon after, my sister and I started making "Official Project Day" plans, and I decided the first project would be doing tie-dye. It was a bit ambitious, since the number of kids (5) outnumbered the number of moms (3), but we all need a little bedlam in our lives sometimes....don't we?
So, last Thursday, the fun commenced:
(Jamie tried the "Drip splotches of dye on the t-shirt method" - I can't wait to see how this one turned out!)
(Ellie watched the action from the safety of a highchair)
(Ian and his almost finished product)
We learned last year that too much dye is not good, because the rubber bands can't contain it all and the colors run together and the tie-dye effect is lost. So, this year we tried to compensage by using less dye. It worked great on the t-shirts, but not so good on the sweatshirts. Maybe we'll buy some more dye and try to do some touching up.
Sunday, September 12, 2010
I've gotten two of these packages before, and they always arrived well after the "should receive by" date stamped on the order form, so as September 11 approached, I reminded myself that chances weren't very good that this package would arrive on time. The Shipper, however, had different plans for me this time, and He delivered my new little girl package a day early, on a bright and beautiful fall morning. She arrived healthy, if not exactly happy, and the feeling of seeing her for the first time was as wonderful as I could have hoped for.
The best part about this little package is that the excitement and wonder doesn't wear off after the box has arrived and been opened. This little girl will grow and change, and be a continual project for the next twenty years, but I'll never get tired of her, or need an updated model. No matter what her life holds, she'll always be my perfect little package.
Thursday, September 9, 2010
On Tuesday, this new educational project began. Ian had his first day of school, and was he ever excited. Since he isn't even four yet, this year is more of a "get ready for school" project (for both teacher and pupil) then any sort of academically challenging educational experiment. My motto is: We'll see how this goes.
Thursday, September 2, 2010
Jewelry has always been a problem for me. Stuff I can afford I don't like, and stuff I like I can't afford. So, when jewelry making supplies went on sale a few weeks ago at Hobby Lobby, I bought a few beads. Somewhere, deep in a box, I found some old fishing line and necklace clips, and I was ready to try a new project. Here is the finished product. I learned that making a solid knot with fishing line is difficult, and that if I am going to do more of this I will need to find a better method. Still, I'm happy with my first try. Now, if I can just keep my children from pulling it off my neck....