School Projects

Fun Projects

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Got My Fabric Fix - For Now

Every time I go into Hobby Lobby (my favorite store), I cruise through the fabric department, even if I am not planning on buying any fabric, just because it is so much fun to see what they have. Lately, they have had lots of fun prints that I really wanted, but I had no projects for them. It was such a dilemma! Then, one day as I was mentally complaining about another irritation, I found a solution to part of my problem: Baby bibs. My mental complaining went something like this: "Stupid bibs aren't big enough. Stupid bibs never get clean - who ever thought that solid, light colored bibs were a good idea? What an idiot. Stupid bibs are so expensive." No, I wasn't in a very good mood. Then came the light bulb moment! I could buy 1/3 of a yard of all those cute prints (which would hide stains so well) and make my own properly sized bibs. Almost all my problems solved in one short moment. I cheered up a lot (just ask my kids). The fabric shopping helped.



On that same shopping trip, I found some fabric that I just loved, which I decided solved another of my problems (Yes, I admit, I have problems). We go to the library a lot, and the older Ian gets, the more books and movies he chooses. Brynn is also starting to bring some books home, and of course there is me. I usually have a stack. Plus, in a few weeks Ian will be starting pre-school, and there were will certainly be some school books to bring home. All these books had outgrown my designated library bag. I hadn't been able to find a pre-made bag that fit all my requirements, so I had been working out a plan in my mind to design my own. So, armed with a really good Hobby Lobby coupon, I bought plenty of the fabric I liked (so I had enough to experiment and problem solve with) and got to work. Things didn't go exactly as I planned, but I was able to solve most of my problems, and the bag at least looks like I intended it to. We are planning a trip to the library as soon as I finish this blog, so I'll get to find out if it is as functional as it should be!

(On the left is the bag before I figured out how to rig the handle. On the right is the finished product)

4 comments:

Jessica said...

That is really cute, did you use a pattern or just make it up? Clever!

~ Tandis ~ said...

Hahahah, sorry, I have to say it. The picture of the bag on the left looks like the trendy new cloth diapers! Haha. Sorrrrry! (Cloth diaper for a hefty kid!)
Once the handles got on there it of course is very cute!!!!!

I'm so jealous of you! I gotta learn to sew!!!! and take my kids to the library on a regular schedule. =/

Jamie said...

Very cute (all of them!) I like your fabric choice for your book bag :-) Um Tandis, am I recalling correctly that you [not so long ago] asked your mom for sewing lessons?!

Bassett said...

I just wish I had time like you do to read!!

Very cute stuff! I like the bibs on Brynnster.