They did agree to try a new technique. I watered down a TINY (emphasis on TINY) amount of acrylic paint and then put drips on their papers. They used straws to blow the dots of paint around. Brynn struggled a bit with this, but we only ended up with one mouthful of paint and no new wall decorations, so overall I'd say it was a success.
The weather on Fun Day was beautiful, so we all spent the afternoon outside. I got half the yard raked and most of those leaves burned. Trust me, I actually enjoy raking leaves and burning them, so it still fit in to the "nothing we don't want to do" rule of the day.
When evening finally settled on the day, we all declared it a smashing success, and I promised myself we would do it again soon. I'll have to put it on my to-do list.