My husband stood up in a wedding this weekend. I was SUPPOSED to attend with him, but the flu bug that laid my kids low kept me at home. I probably should have had a premonition that something like that would happen, because the dress that I made for the event was quite intent on NOT being made.
Many months ago when Aaron was asked to be in the wedding, I started the search for a dress to wear. It takes me a while, okay? Eventually I found a pattern I liked, but I still wasn't sure, so I polled a bunch of my sisters and friends. They gave it the thumbs up - along with some helpful suggestions for colors and such. However, the next problem popped up immediately: fabric. I couldn't find any that I liked. So I waited, and searched the internet, and waited some more. Obviously fabric would appear if I waited long enough, right? I was just about ready to give up on that theory when I finally found a print I really liked. Problem number two was thankfully taken care of. With the fabric in hand, the next step actually progressed rather quickly. I got the pattern all laid out and the pieces cut. I threaded up my machine and then read the instructions. Uh-oh. This pattern turned out to be a LOT more complicated then I thought. My only option was to pack the whole thing up for about a month and hope that when I unpacked it again it would have miraculously sewn itself. So that's what I did.
It didn't work.
It didn't work.
By this time, the deadline was starting to loom a little, so I got myself all psyched up to guts it out and go for the glory. Huh, whatever. I wimped out instead and made a practice from scraps I had. Isn't it gorgeous?
My mom, who came over to help me make some alterations, suggested that I give the practice version to Brynnie for a dress-up dress since it's over-the-top gaudiness seemed right up the little fashionista's alley. Isn't she a thoughtful grammie?
With the details of the pattern sorted out, it was finally time to sew the actual garment. I had to call on my mom one more time, to teach me how to using piping and also loan me her sewing machine which has an adjustable zipper foot (my machine does not, worse luck). In case you were wondering, I am officially a fan of piping.
After months of dawdling and waiting, I was all set to finish that stupid dress on Sunday night - a full six days before the wedding. That would have been too easy for this project, though. Instead, I ran out of thread and had to wait until Monday morning to go to Evan's and get a spool of the right color. At long last, on Monday evening, it was done. I liked it, it fit, it didn't fall apart, and I still had several days before the wedding to bask in my triumph.
But, as you already know, my kids got the flu on Tuesday and I didn't go to the wedding.