School Projects

Fun Projects

Friday, May 13, 2011

The Anti-weed Project

Since Blogger has so kindly begun to work again, I can finally post what I wanted to share yesterday! I hate feeling behind when there is absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Since we decided to take a two week vacation during the second half of April, I came home to a yard in a very sad state. I have been battling colds, crabby kids and especially the weather to get it back under some sort of control ever since. Today I finally managed to get our dirt-pile infested front yard into something resembling neat and tidy.

My big project was adding a border to the edges of my garden on the west side of our driveway and garage. I got this far when my little helpers came visiting:

As you can see, the only things currently growing in our yard are weeds, so I offered Ian a penny a flower to get rid of those pesky dandelions. He thought practicing his homerun swing would be a more effective removal method.

Brynnie very slowly picked and admired these "pretty flowers", often very narrowly avoiding Ian's decapitation bat.
Here is my border, fully installed:

It is the old drain tile that we dug out of the ground last fall. Waste not, want not, as they say.
This is the other part of my garden, the part that needs filling:

I think I am going to plant a grapevine here, and probably some tomato plants, but I'm not sure if they will get enough sun or not. The rhubarb is doing fine and some of it turned into a tasty dessert last night.

Now it is on to the backyard......


Jessica said...

That looks great! I think it should get enough sun unless the neighbor's house blocks it too much.

~ Tandis ~ said...

Nice use of old material. "Buy used and saved the difference" OR "Recycle and save the difference" same thing. :) It looks like a great mouse run-way.

Do some grape vine research. I found that they actually need a structure like a a pergola to grow up/on. :(