School Projects

Fun Projects

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Remembering For Spring

How's that first picture for inspiration? It shows tulip fields in Holland (sorry, I forgot where I got this picture, so I can't credit the photographer - I did not take it!). My yard will NEVER look like that, but with the help if this bag: I can get a little bit closer to that kind of color next spring. Where did I get such a treasure-trove? My Grandpa Elmer. He is a proud Dutchman and an avid gardener; combine the two and you get a man who loves tulips. He is getting on in years, and can't garden as much as he used to, but he is still a wealth of knowledge. As a gift, he gave each of his grandkids, who has a place to plant them, 100 tulip bulbs as a "Way to Remember Him." It is rather a bittersweet gift, especially touching from a man who doesn't wear his emotions on his sleeve.

Although the Farmer's Almanac suggests the optimum time to plant tulip bulbs this year is Nov. 1 at midnight (or so I have been told), I decided to choose a slightly less ideal - and less DARK - time to plant. Right before the wind storm we are experiencing today arrived, I ran out into the backyard during nap time and dug some holes. In went some mulch, some bulbs,
some potting soil and compost, and some hope for the spring. Thanks Grandpa. I love you and I will remember you whenever my backyard looks like this:

4 comments:

~ Tandis ~ said...

=/ I don't know enough about tulip bulbs to vary from Mom's instructions. Yours are a good idea though. With Colorado coming in November I was wondering when I'd get them planted. I can't wait to see them all blooming.

Mindy said...

What a gift! It brought tears to my eyes. I LOVE family memory heirlooms. I often have longed for slips of the plants at my gramma's house. In her honor, I always plant a bleeding heart on the left side of the front door. That's where I always remember hers.

Jessica said...

Oh dear, oh dear, I made that part up about the Farmers' Almanac and the full moon in November. Why do you people trust anything I say?

John said...

I was going to comment about how hilarious the Farmer's Almanac recommendation was, and then I read Jessica's comment. Very funny mom you have there. :) I think tulip bulbs is a wonderful way to remember your grandpa - just be sure to watch out for the deer (they've been nipping the tips of the flowers off of my folks' tulip beds lately!)